Arimidex (Anastrozole) is a potent medication to treat breast cancer after sugery and metastatic breast cancer in women. Anastrozole is the main component of the drug, it is a substance with properties to inhibit the aromatase (estrogen synthetase), an enzyme responsible for biosynthesis of estrogens.
Arimidex reduces estrogen levels and thus slows the growth of breast tumors that demand estrogen for growing process. By inhibiting the synthesis of estrogen the medication stops or slows down the breast cancer in women.
The medication has undergone several clinical trials. More than 9000 women took part in these trials during 5 years. The results of the studies demonstrated that Arimidex was successful in prevention the growth of breast tumors in women in postmenopausal period and reduced the chance of breast cancer reoccurrence by 40 %.
Arimidex is manufactured by AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals LP. The medication is available in the form of tables containing 1 mg of Anastrozole for oral administration.
Arimidex is a prescription medication. A woman needs to visit a doctor before starting the treatment with this medication.
Once your doctor prescribed you Arimidex, you should get full knowledge about this medication. Besides, it is important to be sure that this medication is absolutely safe for you.
Inform your doctor if you:
- are allergic to anastrozole;
- are pregnant;
- are breast-feeding a baby;
- still have menopause.
Arimidex is indicated for use in women only. Men and children should not use this medication.
Arimidex may have certain restrictions in use if you have the following conditions:
- heart disease;
- blood circulation problems;
- a history of stroke, heart attack or blood clot;
- liver impairment;
- elevated level of blood cholesterol;
- osteoporosis or low bone mineral density.
Arimidex is not used in pregnant women. Before using this medication it is necessary to make sure that you are not pregnant. Use a pregnancy test to check. Breast –feeding women should not use Arimidex, the medication can harm a baby.
The medication may reduce bone mineral density, and lead to osteoporosis. It is necessary to test bone mineral density before during treatment and after the treatment is completed.
Serious side effects:
• sudden problems with vision,severe headache, problems with speech or balance, confusion;
• weakness or sudden numbness( especially on one side of the body) ; • swollen glands;
• dark urine, feeling short of breath, jaundice,upper stomach pain;
• severe skin reaction
• loss of appetite,nausea,clay-colored stools, itching;
• swelling in your feet or hands ; or
• a bone fracture.
Less serious Arimidex side effects:
• joint stiffness or pain;
• tingling,weakness in your wrist or hand numbness ;
• hot flashes;
• problems with your fingers while gripping,cold feeling, insomnia;
• sore throat, cough;
• depression, mood changes;
• mild nausea; or
• back pain, vomiting, bone pain;
• thinning hair.